Pokemon Super Duper Beta Mystery Dungeon - To Be Continued

For all your forum games, competitions and quizzes.
Rik
NNID: RikTheNinja
3DS Friend Code: 1032-1749-4002

Pokemon Super Duper Beta Mystery Dungeon - To Be Continued

Post by Rik » Sat May 23, 2015 12:38 pm

So in preparation for the game I'm going to be running over the summer I thought I'd best run a beta just to see how well everything works and to get a chance to iron out any kinks. As you'll probably have guessed from the (working) title it's loosely based on the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, so you'll be taking on the role of an exploration team and heading to dungeons on rescue missions and suchlike, battling hostile 'mon along the way. If you're familiar with Doof's Poketales series you'll know what to expect; however, unlike those games this one will have a turn-based battle system rather than Doof's RP-style ones.
The gameplay is split into two phases:

Exploration Phases
These work in a similar way to Pokétales: you'll be presented with a situation and be tasked with deciding how to advance. This could be as simple as choosing which direction to go in or could be more complex, such as solving a puzzle or getting past a tricky obstacle.

Battle Phases
During your adventures you will often be faced with hostile Pokemon, whether they be inhabitants of the dungeon you're exploring, powerful bosses blocking your way or even rival exploration teams determined to complete the mission before you. Battles with these foes work pretty much as you'd expect from a Pokemon game: each turn you choose a move and a target to attack, with the fastest Pokemon moving first. Whilst battles remain much the same as normal, some moves will have different effects, such as targetting multiple foes or giving different buffs to usual. You'll also have items such as Berries or Seeds at your disposal.

Signups

In the proper thing, you'll be able to choose pretty much any Pokemon to start as, but in this I'm giving you four specific options just so that it's less hassle finding stats since these ones will be in the game as NPCs anyway. To sign up, just fill in the following form:

Code: Select all

[b]Username[/b]: You should know this by now
[b]Pokemon[/b]: Choice of Corphish, Gothorita, Ferroseed or Elekid
[b]Ability[/b]: Which of your Pokemon's abilities you want to have during the beta
The game will start as soon as the four slots are filled and I've finished putting stats etc. up.
Last edited by Rik on Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Ghost wrote:and since when has "being dumb" been a sin on the internet?
Pokeforum Random Battle Tourney - come for the battles, stay for the salt

Rik

Re: Pokemon Super Duper Beta Mystery Dungeon

Post by Rik » Sat May 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Player Stats:

Gothorita/Pineapple
Psychic
Level 21 (23/27 EXP)
HP: 39/62
Attack: 27 Defence: 40 Sp. Atk: 47 Sp. Def: 47 Speed: 34
Nature: Modest

Moves:
Psybeam: A Psychic attack with a 10% chance to confuse the opponent. The user sends out a beam of psychic energy to assault the target. (Pow. 65, Acc. 100) (Special)
Shadow Ball: The user fires a ball of ghostly energy at the opponent. A Ghost attack with a 20% chance to lower the opponent's Sp. Def by one stage. (Pow. 80, Acc. 100) (Special)
Confuse Ray: A Ghost-type move that confuses the opponent. (Pow. -, Acc. 100)
Calm Mind: A Psychic move which raises the user's Sp. Def and Sp. Atk. by one stage each.

Ability: Competitive
Raises the Pokemon's Special Attack by two stages for the next turn when an opponent inflicts a stat drop.

Items:
Equipped: -
1) -
2) Blast Seed (1/2)
An odd seed with explosive properties. Can be used to attack foes with fire.
When eaten: Spew flames at the foe to deal Fire-type damage. (Pow 50, Acc 100) (Special)
When thrown: Hurl at an opponent to set off an explosion which deals Fire-type damage. (Pow 50, Acc 100) (Physical)
Corphish/Nun
Water
Level 21 (24/27 EXP)
HP 44/55
Attack: 49 Defence: 38 Sp. Atk: 28 Sp. Def: 26 Speed: 26
Nature: Adamant

Moves:
Aqua Jet: The user surges forward at great speed on a wall of water. A weak Water attack which lets the user attack first in most situations. (Pow. 40, Acc. 100, Priority +1) (Physical)
Vice Grip: The user crushes the opponent in its claws. A mid-power Normal attack with a 10% chance to lower the opponent's speed by one stage. (Pow. 55, Acc. 100) (Physical)
Waterfall: The user cloaks themselves in water and slams into the opponent. A Water attack with a 20% chance to make the opponent flinch. (Pow. 80, Acc. 100) (Physical)
Bulk Up: A Fighting-type move which raises the user's Attack and Defence by one stage each. (Physical)

Ability: Adaptability
Boosts STAB from 1.5x to 2x.

Items:
Equipped: - Oran Berry
1) Oran Berry (1/3)
A juicy berry which heals a third of a Pokemon's health when eaten.
2) Blast Seed (2/2)
When eaten: Spew flames at the foe to deal Fire-type damage. (Pow 50, Acc 100) (Special)
When thrown: Hurl at an opponent to set off an explosion which deals Fire-type damage. (Pow 50, Acc 100) (Physical)
Ferroseed/Aren142
Grass/Steel
Level 21 (24/27 EXP)
HP 39/55
Attack: 32 Defence: 49 Sp. Atk: 18 Sp. Def: 51 Speed: 15
Nature: Careful

Moves:
Protect: A Normal-type move which protects the user from the effects of almost all moves for one turn. Success rate lowers with each consecutive use. (Priority +4)
Leech Seed: A Grass-type attack which throws seeds at an opponent to drain some of the target's HP each turn and heal the user. (Pow. -, Acc. 90) (Ineffective against Grass types)
Metal Claw: The user rips into an opponent with steely claws/barbs etc. A Steel attack with a 10% chance to raise the user's attack by one stage. (Pow. 55, Acc. 90) (Physical)
Seed Bomb: A powerful Grass attack where the user hurls seeds at the target with explosive force. (Pow. 80, Acc. 100) (Physical)

Ability: Iron Barbs
Deals damage to opponents if they use a move which makes contact.

Items:
1) -
2) Blast Seed (2/2)
Elekid/Garf
Electric
Level 21 (25/27 EXP)
HP: 11/56
Attack: 37 Defence: 27 Sp. Atk: 38 Sp. Def: 34 Speed: 51
Nature: Hardy

Moves:
Thunder Punch: A devastating electrified punch. A strong Electric attack with a 10% chance to paralyse the target. (Pow. 75, Acc. 100) (Physical)
Thunder Wave: An Electric move which paralyses the opponent. (Pow. -, Acc 100) (Doesn't affect Electric types)
Shock Wave: The user fires out a wave of electricity to assault opponents. An Electric attack which also deals some damage to opponents adjacent to the target. (Pow. 50, Acc. 100) (Special)
Karate Chop: The user shows off its martial arts skills with a precise chop. A Fighting attack with a higher chance of a critical hit. (Pow. 50, Acc. 100) (Physical)

Ability: Static
May paralyse the opponent if they use an attack which makes contact.

Items:
1) -
2) Blast Seed (2/2)
Last edited by Rik on Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:05 am, edited 35 times in total.

Rik

Obligatory unnecessary reserved post

Post by Rik » Sat May 23, 2015 12:39 pm

Res
Last edited by Rik on Sun May 24, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aren142
Steam ID: Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sat May 23, 2015 1:21 pm

Username: Aren142
Pokemon: Ferroseed
Ability: Iron Barbs

Because gooseberry fool people trying to use Physical attacks.
<Kaeetayel> Go for a team entirely composed of Eeveelutions
<Princess> that's effort
<Princess> I need to buy the stones/go to rocks/make them happy/touch Eevee
<Kaeetayel> The last one doesn't sound too bad

Garf
NNID: Garfsona
PSN ID: GarfGuy
Steam ID: garfield069

Post by Garf » Sat May 23, 2015 1:36 pm

[b]Username[/b]: Garf
    [b]Pokemon[/b]: Elekid
    [b]Ability[/b]: Static
No Miltank 0/10

Rik

Post by Rik » Sat May 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Don't worry, Miltank will feature prominently in the actual thing. Just for you.

Garf

Post by Garf » Sat May 23, 2015 2:29 pm

<3

Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:58 pm

You should add typings because some things have weird types that are different to their evolutions. Like LArvitar and Skorupi. Also, are Grass types immune to my Leech Seed. That's probably something worth mentioning if it is.
<Princess> that's effort

Rik

Post by Rik » Sat May 23, 2015 3:12 pm

Duly noted, don't know why I didn't put types in in the first place. And yeah, standard grass/overcoat blocking applies to Leech Seed. As a rule of thumb, pretty much everything works like it usually would except for a couple of moves that I've changed slightly (like Vicegrip and Shock Wave) just to make things a tad more interesting.

Pineapple
NNID: Waddl.D

Post by Pineapple » Sat May 23, 2015 3:16 pm

[b]Username[/b]: Pineapple
[b]Pokemon[/b]: Gothorita
[b]Ability[/b]: Competitive (unless Dream World abilities aren't allowed, in which case I'll just go with Frisk)

Rik

Re: Pokemon Super Duper Beta Mystery Dungeon (2 spots left!)

Post by Rik » Sat May 23, 2015 3:30 pm

Its hidden ability is Shadow Tag, not Competitive, but yeah hidden abilities are fair game if anyone else was wondering.

Nintendo Ninja

Re: Pokemon Super Duper Beta Mystery Dungeon (1 spot left!)

Post by Nintendo Ninja » Sat May 23, 2015 3:56 pm

[b]Username[/b]: Nun
[b]Pokemon[/b]: Corpish
[b]Ability[/b]: Adaptability
I would probably have gone for Corpish anyway because Crawdaunt is pretty cool.

Rik

Re: Pokemon Super Duper Beta Mystery Dungeon - The Maze

Post by Rik » Sat May 23, 2015 4:15 pm

Right, all slots are filled so let's get going.

Gothorita woke with a start, opening her eyes to find herself in a dark, dingy cavern. How she'd got there she had no idea; the last thing she remembered was being hit by that Venomoth's Sleep Powder. She glanced around to see the rest of her Skull Gang were also coming to their senses.
"Where are we?" Ferroseed said nervously as he rolled himself upright.
"We're in a cave, idiot," Elekid replied. "Are you blind as well as dumb?"
"Shut it, the pair of you," Gothorita chided. "Corphish, you were the last one standing. What happened after we got knocked out?"
Corphish shrugged. "I didn't last much longer than you guys. That Venomoth was crazy fast. Ain't no way I was getting away from it."
Gothorita nodded. "Well, however we got here, we need to get out."
"How are you planning on doing that, genius?" Elekid said. "We're completely blocked in here. There's literally nowhere to go."
It was true. The cavern was roughly square in shape, and each wall was completely smooth. There didn't seem to be any way in or out.
All of a sudden there was a huge rumbling sound and light flooded the cavern as the ceiling opened up. Ferroseed squealed in fright and rolled behind Elekid to hide. Elekid glowered at him, but Corphish and Gothorita remained focussed on the figure that had appeared above them. It was tall and slim, but other than that it was hard to tell what sort of Pokemon was looking down on them, obscured as it was by the bright light shining behind it.
"I see you're all awake," the figure said in a soft, unsettling tone. It sounded male to Gothorita, but she wasn't too sure. "Welcome to the mazes. I have a few tests in store for you."
"Tests? I ain't signed up for no tests," Corphish replied. "Let me outta here before I come up there and pop a claw in yo-"
"Corphish! Shut it!" Gothorita ordered. "What's going on here? Who are you?" she asked the shadowy figure.
"Who I am does not matter for now," the figure replied. "What matters is who you are. You and your little Skull Gang have been causing trouble for a while now. Ordinarily, you'd have had an exploration team sent after you, but I believe I may have another use for you and your... talents."
"And what talents would they be?" Elekid said.
"You seem to be skilled fighters, despite your inexperience. And you've shown you have no objection to breaking rules and playing dirty to get what you want. Pokemon such as yourselves would be invaluable to me."
"And why would we want to help you?" Ferroseed said, rolling out from behind Elekid. "You've had us knocked out and dropped in a dungeon!"
"Well, for a start, if you agree to cooperate I will let you out of there," the figure said. "You'll also be well paid for your services. And if you prove your worth to me, then I'll make sure you're never bothered by any exploration teams again. You'll be free to do as you please, in return for a few favours now and again."
Gothorita considered the offer for a moment, then nodded. "It sounds good to me. Where do we sign?"
The figure laughed. "I'm glad to see your enthusiasm. However, before we can enter this partnership, I need to know I can rely on you." There was another rumbling sound and one of the cavern walls slid into the floor, revealing a narrow corridor. "Find your way out of the maze and you'll get your reward. Good luck." With that the figure walked away and the ceiling closed over once again, leaving only a small gap to shine light down into the cavern.
"Come on then," Gothorita said as she walked towards the new corridor. "I'm not staying down here any longer than I have to."

Exploration phase

The Skull Gang walks cautiously through the gloomy corridor until they reach a split in the path. The corridor to the left seems brighter than the corridor they are in now. There seems to be a fruity scent coming from the right. Which way will you go?

[Quickfire - the first person to post decides which way to go]

Nintendo Ninja

Post by Nintendo Ninja » Sat May 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Left away from scary grass types.

Rik

Post by Rik » Sat May 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Exploration phase

Wary of the grass types that might be hiding to the right, Corphish urges the gang to follow the left corridor. As they go along, the light gets brighter until they reach another cavern. A large chasm blocks their progress, however. On the other side a door leading further into the maze can be seen. To the left is the source of the light they'd been following - a large yellow crystal embedded in the cavern wall is glowing brightly.
How will you get across the chasm? Figure out how to use your abilities to overcome the obstacle. If you want to take a closer look at something, say so.

Garf

Post by Garf » Sat May 23, 2015 4:40 pm

Let's have a look at that crystal

Rik

Post by Rik » Sat May 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Exploration Phase

Elekid walks over to the crystal and warily places his hand on it. Suddenly the crystal pulses brighter for a second, and a weaker glow can be seen coming from another crystal across the chasm.

Garf

Post by Garf » Sat May 23, 2015 5:07 pm

Get someone else to touch it to see if it's just touch sensitive or electric sensitive

Pineapple
NNID: Waddl.D

Post by Pineapple » Sat May 23, 2015 5:26 pm

I'll touch the crystal as well then.

Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sat May 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Well, it's across the chasm. So we've got to get there somehow. I assume Gothorita can psychic one of us over or something. Might as well see if I can throw a Leech Seed over at the crystal though.
<Princess> that's effort

Rik

Post by Rik » Sat May 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Exploration Phase

The other members of the Skull Gang try touching the crystal, but the crystal doesn't respond.
"Looks like it only reacts to electricity, then," Elekid says.
Meanwhile, Ferroseed rolls as close as he dares to the edge of the chasm and tries to throw some Leech Seeds onto the other side. However, they fall short. They disappear into the darkness below, and after a few seconds a splashing sound echoes upwards. Listening more closely, Ferroseed hears the sound of running water coming from the bottom of the chasm.

Garf

Post by Garf » Sat May 23, 2015 5:59 pm

Anyone fancy going for a dip? Maybe the underwater river leads somewhere. If not, I'll try launching a Thunder Wave or Shockwave at the other crystal whilst touching the one on our side

Aren142

Post by Aren142 » Sat May 23, 2015 6:11 pm

Corphish can swim. I vote him.
<Princess> that's effort

Rik

Post by Rik » Sat May 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Exploration Phase

Elekid holds onto the crystal and tries to fire a Shock Wave at the one on the other side, but the electricity surges back and enters the crystal he's holding onto. The crystal glows brighter again and begins to make a low humming sound.
"Looks like it attracts electricity somehow," Gothorita says. "Maybe you need to be further away from it."
Over at the chasm's edge, Ferroseed is trying to persuade Corphish to take a dip, but he refuses.
"No way, man. If I'm going down there, y'all coming with me. If we get split up in here we might never find each other again."

Nintendo Ninja

Post by Nintendo Ninja » Sat May 23, 2015 6:57 pm

What if elekid just keeps blasting the crystal with electricity seeing as it's having some effect if it's humming already.