NintenPolls - Fire Emblem: Fated Favourite!

Come here to talk about anything to do with Nintendo, including Switch, WiiU, 3DS and mobile.
Robbo-92
NNID: Robbo-92
3DS Friend Code: 1375-7189-0500

Re: NintenPolls - Worst 3D Zelda?

Post by Robbo-92 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:23 pm

A very tricky question actually as I really enjoy all of the 3D Zelda games.

I'd say the weakest of the entry is Skyward Sword, the things it did wrong I just can't get over.

The things it did wrong mainly being having to face the imprisoned 3 times, I hated the imprisoned each and every time I fought it (purely as I was shockingly bad at fighting it), it seemed to rely on a cheap mechanic to make it harder (been a while since I played it so my view could have completely changed on the imprisoned) and because of this it broke up the flow of the game, I'd play for ages until the imprisoned left me frustrated (well not the first time, mainly the third time). Double this up with the fact you had to do the boss rush to get the Hylian shield meant I was never realistically going to 100% complete the game which is something I normally achieve for Zelda games. I admit it's probably a little unfair to say Skyward Sword is my least favourite Zelda game based off one enemy but it's stuck with me since the game released.

It did a few things right though. I thought the graphics were great, the characters were really good, the motion controls were really good most of the time (but even then they just needed re calibrating).

Really is a shame to say it's the worst Zelda game as none of the 3D Zelda games could be seen as a contender for the worst Zelda game in my opinion.

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:14 am

oh right
reasons

-Motion controls didn't always work great for me, and whether that was my fault or not, it was to the detriment of my experience of the game
-Constantly having to recalibrate was annoying
-Even when the motion controls worked it was somewhat arbitrary, as the swordplay, rather than being 1:1, consisted of like 8 set slashes, which was disappointing, but at least made some interesting gameplay and fighting...
-Or it would if the enemies weren't so boring; gooseberry fool 700 different kinds of bokoblins hardly counts as variety, especially when they have almost the same tactics except with a different gimmick every time. A lot of the other enemies boiled down to the same formula of: "wait for it to move its weapon and slash in corresponding direction
-Backtracking, whether you'll admit to it or not
-Imprisoned, which is the best example of storyline directly affecting gameplay in this game, to its detriment; the flow of gameplay was broken up in a terrible way by the last two imprisoned fights, as they were mostly repetitive and were way too close together for the sake of creating a sense of urgency within the story
-Lack of areas, as while I like the idea of finding areas within the areas, there simply should have been more; no ice area sucked, for example
-There was like no openness or exploration to be had in this game, it was far too linear, which would be fine if it wasn't a Zelda game, and it is, so I went in expecting more than a semi open corridor towards a dungeon. I guess that's partially why the sand sea was so great
-The music I guess was decent, but it just wasn't memorable, as a lot of the time it boiled down to the typical sort of orchestral music found in games now; only two songs in the whole game stick out to me
-The loftwing, while a cool idea, controlled like eton mess and was super underplayed as the game went on, to the point where I forgot about it
-The Sky was a boring, empty and disjointed excuse for an overworld, with almost nothing to do in its entirety

overall I guess while still a good game, it felt largely like a tech demo to me
Last edited by Vtheyoshi on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

Sabrofra
NNID: GameBoySam
3DS Friend Code: 2406-5595-5668
Steam ID: Sabrofra

Post by Sabrofra » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:19 am

It's so difficult for me to say, as I absolutely adore all 5 of the 3D Zelda games. I'd have to say Majora's Mask as that's my 5th favourite Zelda game (after the other 4 3D Zeldas). Majora's Mask is an absolutely fantastic game, it's just I preferred the other 4 ever so slightly more.

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:14 am

Remember how Skyward Sword went all stealth sequence multiple times as if hiding like a coward is the embodiment of power and courage?
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

Nofes
NNID: noffles
3DS Friend Code: 2320 6164 3159
PSN ID: Inofa
Xbox Gamertag: Inofa
Steam ID: Inofa

Post by Nofes » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:31 am

Skyward Sword. I'll give details if a sympathiser shows up.
I want to fight Orange Rackon
Bucket

ChaosControl
NNID: jammydodger1985
3DS Friend Code: 270729914659
PSN ID: jammydodger1985
Steam ID: jammydodger1985

Post by ChaosControl » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:17 pm

Twilight Princess. I just can't handle the Skulltulas and the giant spider boss. I just have a constant sickly feeling of fear throughout the game. The wolf sections are great fun and Midna is a great character. But I'm just enjoying Skyward Sword too much and I'm genuinely dreading eventually playing through Twilight Princess, even though there's a ton of stuff I like about the game. Also, gooseberry fool the water temple.
I am functioning within the established parameters.

Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

Post by Bix » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Saying Twilight Princess just because it held my attention the least.

Skyward Sword at least had some fun quick things like the sand slide things and a couple of the temples kept me hooked for a good while. + some of the loft wing stuff was really good.. ++ I really enjoyed the loftwing rescue section early on.
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:06 pm

Apart from The Wind Waker I have not been able to get into any Zelda game, but I am sure I will enjoy Zelda Wii U, the last Zelda I tried to play was Majora's Mask 3D and I didn't like it so that gets my vote as the worst
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

euan707
NNID: Cameron
3DS Friend Code: 4339-2551-9050

Post by euan707 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Nofes wrote:I want to fight Orange Rackon
Well he's not here right now, so you're just going to have to deal with me telling you you're wrong instead
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU

danbish
NNID: TheFatPlumber
3DS Friend Code: 0920-1615-5762
Xbox Gamertag: Emerald Eagle
Steam ID: TheFatPlumber

Post by danbish » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:36 pm

Chocolate-Milk wrote:Skyward Sword

Cons:
repetitive areas, barren overworld, 3 Ghirahim/Imprisoned fights- which you have to do again for the Hylian shield, like a million different moblins, and Fi the gooseberry fool Microsoft Office assistant.
While I agree with your cons for SS, I still enjoyed it a lot in spit of these things. I did feel short changed by repeating the same areas and your interpretation of Fi is bang on, the rest of it made up for them. The story and origins of the series, the relationship between Link and Zelda and really, the beginning of the Zelda lore. And on another note, how the hell did that Goron manage to beat you to every single area of the game when the only way you could get there was by using a special piece of equipment? I never understood that, still don't. All I could think of is black magic.

Anyway, worst Zelda game is easy for me - Spirit Tracks. So utterly boring to play and to this day the only Zelda game I've ever turned off mid way through. Getting midway was such a slog too, boring to play and far too much space between areas. I know the whole point of that was to use the train to emphasis travelling but still, even that was as boring as hell. Then the Demon Train came at you after a little while which proved to be nothing more than a gigantic pain on the angel delight who also as I seem to remember, was a right bedfordshire clanger to defeat so you could move on. Maybe it was that, maybe it was me losing so much interest that I couldn't be bothered in making a proper (multiple where needed) attempt to try and beat it, or maybe its a mixture of both. Either way, I'm not playing it again to find out. Shame really as I really enjoyed Phantom Hourglass of which this was a direct sequel to.

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:18 pm

euan707 wrote:
Nofes wrote:I want to fight Orange Rackon
Well he's not here right now, so you're just going to have to deal with me telling you you're wrong instead
This post is just as bad as people who throw a picture into a post and say "you're wrong."

Argue your point or don't reply.
Bucket

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Post by Kriken » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:30 pm

ChaosControl wrote:Twilight Princess. I just can't handle the Skulltulas and the giant spider boss. I just have a constant sickly feeling of fear throughout the game.
Not really a fair point and some of the other 3D ones have spiders too. If the question was which was your least favourite Zelda then sure, but yeah.

Anyway, the answer to this one is Skyward Sword.

H.Kazuhira
NNID: H.Kazuhira

Post by H.Kazuhira » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:30 pm

I have loved and enjoyed every 3D Zelda so it's difficult to say what the "worst" was. But in terms of trying to get the most out of a Zelda game... I'm gonna have to pick Skyward Sword. It pains me to say that because I enjoyed the heck out of it. It just lacked with it's characters and side quest which I thought it really missed the ball on. Even tho Ghirahim is one of my favorite Zelda villains.
I am the reason, the answer and the problem.
Twitter

euan707

Post by euan707 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Well, there's nothing really to argue until you say what you don't like.

The design of SS is the best of the 3D games (bar maybe Wind Waker but that's apples and oranges). The detail put into the character's faces and expressions is almost on par with Wind Waker.

Speaking of the characters, the story line is incredibly detailed, and sets up the rest of the games nicely with a few nods and hints (like the Ballad of the Goddess being Zelda's Lullaby backwards, and the medallions from OoT being carved on the inside of the goddess statue). Ok, some aspects like the Imprisoned and Ghirahim are repeated and I can't really argue for that, it's just bad design.

What isn't bad design is re-visiting each area multiple times. There isn't a single area in the game that, when you come back, is played exactly the same way. Sure, it's the same area, but only by design theme, everything else is different.

I'll leave it at that for now.
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU

Vtheyoshi
NNID: vtheyoshi
Steam ID: VlaSoul

Post by Vtheyoshi » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:59 pm

you mostly focused on story there, which is not a great argument in a series that seems to make a point of gameplay being paramount to story

In fact, no one has really taken issue with the story in and of itself; I would argue story and character are the best part of the game, but unfortunately most criticisms lie within the gameplay, so it's mostly irrelevant whether story is good or not, since it really what isn't makes this game.

Thanks to yung Kriken for the sig and avatar (asuka best girl)
MAL
Deviantart (trying to be more active nowadays, views are always appreciated) UPDATED 21/06/17

euan707

Post by euan707 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:13 pm

I've explained part of the gameplay, the repetition of areas and fights ect. The motion controls worked fine for me, and in all honesty I've never heard many complaints from anyone else about them either.

I'm not sure what other elements of the gameplay are problematic.
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU

Met

Post by Met » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:28 pm

Except the complaints do exist so I guess the motion controls only worked some of the time.

You know what works more than some of the time?

Pushing a button.
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

euan707

Post by euan707 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:34 pm

Ah yes, the Wii. Famous for it's innovative button-pushing technology.
Last Man Standing
What Did We Play? - WiiU

Met

Post by Met » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:41 pm

At least the buttons worked, though. I don't care how innovative something is if it doesn't work better than what came before.

Nofes

Post by Nofes » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Skyward Sword's story is terrible.
They started it off with a bit of a love story where Zelda wasn't the damsel for once. By the end, they swapped the villain for a Ganondorf-like, Zelda was the damsel, and Link was there to save the day in yet another straight up sword fight. The justification of Ganondorf as a revived version of Demise is ridiculous, because it was a just a half baked attempt at creating a canonical reason for things that didn't really need reasoning. As far as Zelda canon goes, it added nothing, but tried its best to try and slot itself at the very start of the series for the sake of it, without it actually meaning anything at all. It was essentially a side story that explained that the master sword was forged in magic flames. That's great, but, now you have to explain why those flames were at those temples. Now you have to explain why those temples existed in the first place. By trying to justify its own canon, it now has to justify things that existed in a game that was supposedly there just to justify everything else.
The design of SS is the best of the 3D games (bar maybe Wind Waker but that's apples and oranges).
This is exactly the same as saying "this is the worst" without reasoning. Give reasoning, or I'm going to assume you don't have a point.

As for the backtracking comment, I'm not even giving you the time of day.
Bucket

Majin_Nephets
NNID: Majin_Nephets
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-3978

Post by Majin_Nephets » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:37 pm

I haven't played TP for a long time so I can't say exactly, but I think my least favourite might actually be Ocarina of Time purely because I've played it so much over the years. I just don't find it as interesting as the others anymore. Still a great game though. This is very much a "worst of a great lot" situation.
PM me if you decide to add me on 3DS or Wii U

ChaosControl
NNID: jammydodger1985
3DS Friend Code: 270729914659
PSN ID: jammydodger1985
Steam ID: jammydodger1985

Post by ChaosControl » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:42 pm

liberal wrote:
ChaosControl wrote:Twilight Princess. I just can't handle the Skulltulas and the giant spider boss. I just have a constant sickly feeling of fear throughout the game.
Not really a fair point and some of the other 3D ones have spiders too. If the question was which was your least favourite Zelda then sure, but yeah.

Anyway, the answer to this one is Skyward Sword.
Considering this entire thread is to discuss our personal opinions, then there is no correct answer. Otherwise this would be a quiz. Naming something as the "worst" is entirely based on opinion. It's like if you'd said "What's the worst film?" And expecting the "correct" answer to be Twilight. I've seen films way worse than Twilight.

The fact of the matter is I'm enjoying Skyward Sword way more than when I played Twilight Princess.
Yes, the other games have spiders too. But Twilight Princess's are the most terrifying. So far with Skyward Sword I can psyche myself up and I've been doing OK with taking them down.
The ones in Ocarina of Time aren't as bad (mainly due to technical limitations. Although the sound they make is gooseberry fool horrible). Plus you can kill those bedfordshire clanger from a distance with your slingshot.
The ones in Twilight Princess are most like real spiders and the worst part is, they're not confined to the Forest Temple.
Then on top of that, there's a MASSIVE spider boss (OK, there's one in Ocarina of Time too, but it doesn't even look like a spider really).
Not only that, but I hated having to worry about my oil supply for my lamp, the water temple sucks (especially with those jumping crab enemies) and it has one of the most infuriating puzzles in all of the Zelda series.
To be fair, I've heard bad things about Ocarina of Time's water temple. But I've never played through it myself. So I can't comment. I also have yet to finish Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. So my opinion might change, but as it stands now Skyward Sword so far is my second favourite Zelda game after Windwaker. It would be wrong of me to say Skyward Sword is the worst, purely because that's what everyone else thinks. That's not the point of this thread.
I do still really like Twilight Princess, I'm just stating why I found it the least fun.
I am functioning within the established parameters.

Majin_Nephets
NNID: Majin_Nephets
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8667-3978

Post by Majin_Nephets » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:55 pm

AFAIK the problems with the OoT Water Temple were pretty much all fixed in the 3DS game.
PM me if you decide to add me on 3DS or Wii U

Kriken
FKA liberal
NNID: PhoenixVonKarma
Steam ID: Kriken

Post by Kriken » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:00 pm

Right CC? I realise this thread concerns opinions. I was expressing my own.

Don't expect you to agree SS is the worst obviously, but you were basically saying TP is the worst because you're afraid of spiders. That's not a problem with the game.

Again, the question isn't which game is your least favourite, it's which one you think is worst.

Kesskuron
NNID: Kesskuron
3DS Friend Code: 167643044135
PSN ID: Kesskuras
Steam ID: Kesskuron

Post by Kesskuron » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:09 pm

The main problem with SS for me was how disjointed the world felt. It never felt like a unified world, just lots of different floating places with no real relation or connection to one another. This isn't a feeling I had with any other Zelda even slightly, and it really threw me off in SS, to the point where it actively degraded the 'magic' of the game if you will.

I still enjoyed it, but it just felt less fully realised and coherent than the others. Plus the going back to the forest to collect the notes underwater thing was absolute bollocks and I hated it