The Best Sword In The World Ever!

Anything else you'd like to talk about? Post here.
>> How Do You Feel Right Now
Bix
NNID: Wiitabix
3DS Friend Code: 5429-6832-2984
PSN ID: Deadspace-Maniac
Steam ID: Deadspacemaniac

The Best Sword In The World Ever!

Post by Bix » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:38 am

Something I've thought about from time to time.

I've now decided to create a topic that will encompass all swords, whether magical, mythical, pixelated, actual, priceless or just simply famous. If you know of a sword and it is worthy enough .. you will quite possibly find it somewhere on here. Now or in the future.

(what else would you attempt to defeat the Nazgul leader with?)

Here's the thing:

What makes a sword powerful or 'the best' ?

Its all very subjective ..

some would say that the look of the thing really is a major part, that the timing in which the weapon is used is extremely crucial. If you're a general on horseback leading your troops towards an oppressive army .. what better show of force could there be than an already drawn beautifully shiny and deadly looking sword. Proving to your own troops that you expect hand to hand confrontation and that you are not afraid? :

Then there are lots of people that put emphasis on the wielder of the weapon .. some even saying that the wielder is the main reason for the success of the blade itself (hmmmm) :

Well lets put all of this to the test (the rules):

Starting right now and then ongoing each week we will have a duel of words between two swords of my choice. Each person is allowed a vote for one of the blades. Please try to give a reason, even a brief one, as it will help keep discussion flowing regarding the two blades battling it out. By all means discuss swords in general, but try to keep the thread from derailing and nothing whatsoever to do with things non sword related.

Please feel free to PM me regarding swords you want to see. Chances are I already have them earmarked for a forthcoming duel .. I'll be eternally grateful & honest with a PM + thanks in the thread if thats not the case.

Finally we will have a vote for our favourite 3 (in order) of all dual winners. This will indicate our top 3 swords and our chosen 'best sword in the world ever!' ! !!!!!

NOW FOR AN EPIC DUEL TO START:

For our first sword we have one that is definitely part of our reality that has a very mystical past:

Muramasa katanas

Made by an ancient Japanese swordsmith: Muramasa Sengo was a swordsmith who lived during the Muramachi period (between the 14th and 16th centuries A.D.).
Links with another very famous Japanese swordsmith (mystical, magical tales): In some legends, Muramasa is portrayed as a disciple of Masamune, though this is historically impossible, as Masamune lived several centuries before his alleged student.
The maker was reportedly mad: Muramasa has been described as 'completely mad and prone to bouts of violence'. It was therefore believed that these destructive qualities were passed by the master swordsmith into the blades he forged. The blades would then ‘possess’ their wielders, turning them into insane and deadly warriors, just like Muramasa himself.
Mystical tales of the blades themselves: In one legend, Muramasa, who is said to be a disciple of Masamune, challenges his master to a sword-making competition. This was to determine who the greatest swordsmith in the country was. After both swordsmiths had completed their blades, they prepared to test their weapons. Both blades were suspended in a stream with the sharp edge facing the current. Muramasa’s blade cut everything that passed it, including the fish, leaves and even the air.
The swords became banned due to actual events (cursed?): Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu condemned the swords after they killed nearly all of his family. The shogun’s father, Matsudaira Hirotada, and grandfather, Matsudaira Kiyoyasu, were both murdered by their retainers who were wielding Muramasa blades. The shogun himself was also cut by a (supposed) Muramasa blade whilst inspecting the yari (a Japanese type of spear) of one of his generals.
People resisted the ban and became overwhelmed by their sheer existence: Takanak Ume, the Magistrate of Nagasaki in 1634, was discovered to have hoarded 24 Muramasa blades, and thus was ordered to commit 'seppuku' (ritual suicide by disembowelment). Despite such extreme punishments, people continued to keep Muramasa blades.
Finally, so famous they became part of popular culture:

Now we need a fitting rival:

What is that?! you may ask .. well it is a perfectly formed replica of:
He Man's Power Sword

Wielded by a Prince: Adam of Eternia, resides in Castle Grayskull and is without a doubt a prince more worthy than most.
Magic is contained within: Adam discovered this by chance uttering only the name of the sword and his current location. "By the Power of Grayskull"
Turns Adam's cowardly green tiger into a fierce fighting beast able to be ridden:

Initially split into two halves (Epic Quest to find the pieces and obtain the sword): The Power Sword appears as early as the He-Man and the Power Sword book(before the cartoons). Totally evil villain, Skeletor who happens to be He Man's arch enemy, finds one half of the power sword and tries to acquire the other half of the sword hidden inside Castle Grayskull to gain the sword's total power... adding that "the magic fires, created by ancient scientists and sorcerers, will blaze again" once the two halves are joined.
Powers of manipulation and more: The Power Sword can be used to open a hole in the dimensional wall. The wielder of the Power Sword is able to use its power over various objects to attack whoever or whatever the wielder chooses.
Its also a key: the Power Sword is the only key that can open Castle Grayskull's 'Jaw-Bridge' when inserted into an enchanted lock.

Keys, curses, precision blade or magical weapon ... which one do you choose? or wait until discussion has helped your decision before you place your vote? Either way I will vote each Tuesday .. the final votes will be counted and verified on Thursday evening. Two new swords will duel off against each other every Friday. Happy voting ... Muramasa katanas or He Man's Power Sword ?

THE BEST SWORD EVER:

The Lightsaber

THE BEST RUNNERS UP EVER:

Excalibur

Soul Edge

THE OTHER FINALISTS:

The Monado

Beam Katana

Meowmere

Red Scissor Blade

The Power Sword of Grayskull

The Masamune katanas

Andúril
Last edited by Bix on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:41 am, edited 81 times in total.
Wishing my SONM friends a very happy & successful Q3 in gaming
TIME !

Rai

Re: The Best Sword In The World (Ever!)

Post by Rai » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Katana cause Japanese.

Bix

Post by Bix » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:08 pm

Good choice .. plus amazingly well crafted (as well as Japanese)
Last edited by Bix on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TIME !

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist
PSN ID: Riainjmp
Steam ID: B-Bomb

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:08 pm

A powerful sword you say...heh

In a serious answer, Aegislash

Bix

Post by Bix » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:11 pm

Well Pokemon could be a possibility up for consideration at some point.
TIME !

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:13 pm

As great as any sword that wielded by this man must be, I have to go for the Muramasa katanas. Full of historicity, surrounded by myth and legend, and the inspiration behind countless fictional blades, Muramasa's swords win hands down. As you touch on they have also featured prominently in popular culture, ranging from a key plot element in games such as Muramasa: The Demon Blade to one off weapon's in RPGS like Golden Sun.

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:15 pm

For this duel, I prefer the power sword. As much as I like Katanas, the power sword is just plain cool.

JenovaPX
PSN ID: JenovaPX
Steam ID: Jenova1039

Post by JenovaPX » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:17 pm

As much as it hurts weebs to hear, no katana can be the best sword from an objective standpoint. I mean it's great that they're folded a thousand times and the matrix is perfect but honestly that really means gooseberry fool all when you compare it to most well crafted western alternatives. Sure, they're great to look at and have a great amount of culture and history behind them but at the end of the day they're still just pig iron and while that doesn't mean they can't be good and effective... well it just really limits how good and effective they can be. Japan didn't have the resources to make great swords, especially compared to other Eastern countries like China, and if there wasn't such a romantic version of samurai or such an obsession with all things Japan then no-one would really care much for them.

From a cultural aspect ignoring whether the blade's any good or not, sure Muramasa can have it for that great Japanese romanticism. Everything from blades that cut everything they touch to blades that have to draw blood whenever unsheathed the Muramasa stories are fantastic allegories for the actions of many samurai.
Welcome to the True Man's World
Destiny is Destiny.

RichardUK
NNID: RichardBatesUK
3DS Friend Code: 1177-9740-4606
PSN ID: RichardBatesUK
Xbox Gamertag: RichardBatesUK

Post by RichardUK » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:19 pm

i would take part but clearly St Georges sword beats any sword, i mean it slayed a dragon !

but if i had to choice from the two then it has to be he mans power sword just for the fact you can raise it and say "By the Power of Grayskull"
'Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem'

Bix

Post by Bix » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:23 pm

RichardUK wrote:i would take part but clearly St Georges sword beats any sword, i mean it slayed a dragon !

but if i had to choice from the two then it has to be he mans power sword just for the fact you can raise it and say "By the Power of Grayskull"
I'll take that as a clear vote for the power sword .. things are neck and neck at the moment
JenovaPX wrote:As much as it hurts weebs to hear, no katana can be the best sword from an objective standpoint. I mean it's great that they're folded a thousand times and the matrix is perfect but honestly that really means gooseberry fool all when you compare it to most well crafted western alternatives. Sure, they're great to look at and have a great amount of culture and history behind them but at the end of the day they're still just pig iron and while that doesn't mean they can't be good and effective... well it just really limits how good and effective they can be. Japan didn't have the resources to make great swords, especially compared to other Eastern countries like China, and if there wasn't such a romantic version of samurai or such an obsession with all things Japan then no-one would really care much for them.

From a cultural aspect ignoring whether the blade's any good or not, sure Muramasa can have it for that great Japanese romanticism. Everything from blades that cut everything they touch to blades that have to draw blood whenever unsheathed the Muramasa stories are fantastic allegories for the actions of many samurai.
Does this mean you may be considering a vote for Adam's aka He-Man's trusty blade?
TIME !

beansontoast

Post by beansontoast » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:38 pm

Nice butterknives OP

Edd
3DS Friend Code: 2380-3173-1972
PSN ID: Eddc15
Steam ID: Eddc15

Post by Edd » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

I pick Lightsaber.
Mr.EE ~ Edd is the best! Edd is super hot!
arceus469 ~ Edd is just a lonely little internet bully with no friends.

OrangeRakoon
NNID: OrangeRakoon
3DS Friend Code: 0705-5259-5082
PSN ID: OrangeRakoon
Steam ID: OrangeRakoon

Post by OrangeRakoon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:45 pm

Beamswords > Lightsabers

Mr. EE

Post by Mr. EE » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:48 pm

Kill your enemy and then enjoy a nice treat without having to go to the fridge.
Edd ~ EE is a cool guy.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:51 pm

Bix wrote:Does this mean you may be considering a vote for Adam's aka He-Man's trusty blade?
Nah, in terms of fiction Murasama's blades are more interesting and He-Man's not my thing.
Destiny is Destiny.

komodo joe

Post by komodo joe » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:54 pm

Edd wrote:I pick Lightsaber.
Lightsabers are trash

The answer is Anathame
pound shop bill sorenson. | LOOK CLOSER LENNY

Met
NNID: Metballs
3DS Friend Code: 031879326955
PSN ID: MetONM
Xbox Gamertag: Metballs
Steam ID: metonm

Post by Met » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:58 pm

JenovaPX wrote:As much as it hurts weebs to hear, no katana can be the best sword from an objective standpoint. I mean it's great that they're folded a thousand times and the matrix is perfect but honestly that really means gooseberry fool all when you compare it to most well crafted western alternatives. Sure, they're great to look at and have a great amount of culture and history behind them but at the end of the day they're still just pig iron and while that doesn't mean they can't be good and effective... well it just really limits how good and effective they can be. Japan didn't have the resources to make great swords, especially compared to other Eastern countries like China, and if there wasn't such a romantic version of samurai or such an obsession with all things Japan then no-one would really care much for them.

Shut up, Plague.

Anyway, they best swords are also guns. And have weaponised sheaths. And are whips.

All at once.
<Kaee> I think Met would give better sex than Hoyle
cruizer wrote:I didn't start writing this with the intention of speaking about veganism; but the link between animal explotiation and oppressed human groups is so obvious

Bix

Post by Bix » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:00 pm

Mr. EE wrote:Image

sharp candy sword, you'd definitely want to lick your wounds.
TIME !

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:11 pm

I personally favor the clasdic longsword.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:14 pm

Met wrote:Shut up, Plague.
He's a beautiful man and he reads the same books as me, what can I say? We're basically soulmates
Destiny is Destiny.

Troggy

Post by Troggy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:20 pm

You are all dumb. Nothing can beat THE ANCIENT BONESABER OF ZUMAKALIS.

Mr. EE wrote:Image

Except that, though.
I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Bix

Post by Bix » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:23 pm

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist wrote:I personally favor the clasdic longsword.
In terms of classic swords, I feel they are very dependent on having a highly skilled user. Some swords didn't rely so heavily on the skill of the person wielding them. Long swords would also have required a fair amount of muscle I'm sure. This could have hindered speed against a katana for example. Some longswords looked amazing though.
TIME !

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Yeah its more their design rather then functionality I like.

Essentially the longbow of swords and thats not because of the name.

JenovaPX

Post by JenovaPX » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Almost all swords designed for combat wouldn't be too heavy. A weapon is absolutely useless if it's unwieldy, the weight in reconstructions can get overstated because obviously they're not being made for battle, real life counterparts of a long sword would only ever be about 2 kg at their heaviest and far from slow.
Destiny is Destiny.

ABoxerWhoIsPacifist

Post by ABoxerWhoIsPacifist » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:34 pm

I assume its more the length thats the problem. It would drag a bit.